> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:13 PM, philip.chime...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us
> <mailto:jra...@ceridwen.us>> wrote:
> The Gnome developers are moving towards a Python 3 environment while Apple at
> least for now remains stuck in Python 2. (WWDC 2018 starts in an hour or so,
> but even if MacOS 10.14 will finally start distributing Python 3 there’s
> still several years of supporting older versions ahead of us.)
>
> Several packages in the Gnome stack have dropped autotools support in the
> last several months in favor of the Meson build system, and the Meson build
> system requires Python 3. An additional complication is that it’s becoming
> more common for packages to require Python modules that are distributed
> primarily or even only via PyPI, e.g. gtk-doc requires Six for Py2/3
> compatibility.
>
> So going forward gtk-osx needs a Python 3 and PyPI-friendly environment in
> which to run. While investigating that yesterday I found
> https://docs.pipenv.org/ <https://docs.pipenv.org/>. This can be bootstrapped
> with curl from its Github repo and works with Python2. A pair of
> configuration files, Pipfile and (poorly named, it's not a lock file)
> Pipfile.lock, specify the python version and necessary PyPI packages.
>
> I propose that gtk-osx-build-setup.sh would bootstrap Pipenv, install a
> Pipfile and Pipfile.lock with the requisite dependencies, start up Pipenv,
> and install jhbuild into the Pipenv environment. One would run jhbuild in a
> Pipenv shell; that could be made more-or-less transparent with a simple
> script file or shell alias.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I've been using Anaconda for this purpose. I would have suggested that, but I
> took a look at Pipenv (I'd never heard of it before) and it seems more suited
> to the purpose, since it gets its packages directly from PyPI where everyone
> publishes them, rather than going through a third-party packager like
> Anaconda. (I guess that can have pros and cons.)
>
> Note that Meson-built libraries are currently mostly broken on macOS because
> Meson doesn't properly set install_name:
> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2121
> <https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2121>
> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/3077
> <https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/3077>
> I've been having a lot of trouble with this and have been unable to build
> GNOME 3.28 because of it.

Phil,

Yeah, I saw your post on gtk-devel about the meson bugs. I looked at the bug
reports and ISTM the solution is that for shell invocation the rpath in the
executable just needs to include $PREFIX/lib. That should be doable. The
bundler will obviously need to convert @rpath to
@executable_path/../Resources/lib as is presently done with absolute paths to
$PREFIX, but again that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

I’ve no doubt that you’ve tried all of that and it didn’t work, so what am I
missing?

Note that I haven’t tried any of this yet, including even installing, never
mind using, meson. I’m just speculating ATM.

Regards,
John Ralls