> On Apr 7, 2021, at 7:31 AM, Andrius Rinkevicius <andrius...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 6, 2021, at 1:25 AM, Andrius Rinkevicius <andrius...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:13 AM John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
> > I'm preparing the annual updates to the stable packages and in the process
> > I'm making some changes that could break build scripts and jhbuildrc-custom:
> >
> > I haven't pushed any of this yet so if there are any objections now is the
> > time to raise them!
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > Hi John,
> > I would like to suggest to change a bit enchant build module - to build
> > native Apple spellchecker instead of ispell and myspell it is currently
> > buiding. I do not have any objections to continue to build ispell or
> > myspell, however, in order to enable its functionality one has to add
> > external dictionaries somehow (I never tried), while applespell works out
> > of the box and uses native Apple spellchecker.
> > Gedit is already doing this, and its enchant module is:
> >
> > <autotools id="enchant" autogenargs="--disable-myspell --disable-ispell">
> >     <branch module="1.6.0/enchant-1.6.0.tar.gz" version="1.6.0"
> > repo="abisource/enchant">
> >       <patch file="enchant/enchant-gsize.patch" strip="1"/>
> >       <patch file="enchant/enchant-applespell.patch" strip="1"/>
> >       <patch file="enchant/enchant-relocatable.patch" strip="1"/>
> >     </branch>
> >     <dependencies>
> >       <dep package="glib"/>
> >     </dependencies>
> >   </autotools>
> >
> > There is one extra patch for applespell, and enchant-relocatable.patch is a
> > bit different to what is available on gtk-osx repository. I have confirmed,
> > gedit version works!
>
> Andrius,
>
> Sure, no problem. How about a PR on https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build
> or https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk-osx?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

> Hi John,
> made PR to Github repository.
> Andrius

I turns out that Andrius was a little off-base: GEdit uses GSpell which in turn
uses Enchant 2.2. Enchant 2.2 claims to support AppleSpell as-is. Even
Andrius's own project, Bluefish, uses Enchant 2.2.

Enchant 2 is about 3 1/2 years old and Enchant 1 isn't maintained any more, so
it's obsolete. So, for that matter, is GtkSpell, which also hasn't had any love
for 3 years or so. Hunspell's last release was 2 1/2 years ago and while there
was a flurry of activity a year go the total is only 11 commits since and none
in the last year.

There's no module in Gtk-OSX for GSpell and nobody's ever asked for one, so I'm
inclined to declare that spelling infrastructure is out-of-scope for Gtk-OSX;
projects that need it are probably using their own modules.

Can anyone make a convincing case to the contrary?

Regards,
John Ralls