On Wed, 10 May 2000, Roberto Alonso wrote:

> Firstly, allow me to say hi as a newcomer to this group.

Welcome!!  This list has always been dominated (in numbers at least) by us
Americans, but it's always fun to have the rest of the world on board.

> I live in northern Spain and just bought a '93 GTS
> I'm extremely pleased with it,
> although I haven't had the chance to travel much yet (less than 3 months &
> continuous rainstorms & working overtime, sound familiar?).

Way too familiar as regards the overtime stuff....but what's rain???  Here
in the desert we've had no such thing since March....really.

As for the brake lever not having the action in the right area of travel,
we've been around on this one and most agree with you.  One possible fix
is, if I recall correctly, the lever from a ZX-11 Kawasaki (goes with
another name in Europe, ZZR-1100 I believe??) which is adjustable.

> Lastly, the burning question: how do you guys in the States cope with a 100
> hp, road hungry bike in an enforced 55-65 mph speed limit environment? I've
> been in the US several times and that I really hated. What is it? Yoga,
> utmost self restraint, get a crop duster pilot license to fly low?

None of the above.  As Henry pointed out--we all speed.  And, the 55-65
limits are found mostly in the eastern U.S. at this point.  Us western
types usually have a posted limit of 75, which in New Mexico with a "plus
10" mentality, makes it 85.  Of course, the GTS will tour all day at 100+
so this is still too slow.....

Visit New Mexico next time you're across the big pond, I'll show you some
roads that are more than 55.  And some that are way fun at well less than
55, in the twisties.  :)

> PS: Please excuse my broken English, not my mother tongue

Hey, your English is great.  I teach university students who should learn
to do so well.  Honest.

Phil Benson
In sunny Las Cruces, New Mexico, near the Mexican border