My main suggestion is buy one made by a camera company, not a computer
company. The electronics are pretty similar, but the lens makes a difference.
Beyond that, get at least 1.3 million pixels, 2.1 million if that's in your
price bracket. More than that is more expensive than reasonable right now and
whatever you buy, you'll be kicking yourself in six months when it's half the
price.

(As for Richard's suggestion on the Olympus D-360L, can't fault that. I've
been using a D-320L, its grandpa, and it has served me well. I'll upgrade in
another price drop or two and put the 320 on ebay. As for batteries, get some
lithium rechargeables. Well worth it for any digi camera.)