Roberto,

First, your message is in no way an abuse of the list.  For all of our
frequent silliness here, and some disputes on occasion, most of us would
agree that we're all friends here, even if it's "friends afar" at times.
Your message was appropriate, and heartfelt.

Second, and more importantly, I'm sorry for what you've had to endure.
Those of us who ride have all experienced the loss of a rider friend at
some time.  Having no brothers, and two sisters who don't ride, I've never
lost anyone the way you just did.  It has to be hard.  About a month ago a
friend was killed here, riding his Goldwing.  I met him when I moved here
in 1987, we did a lot of service work together, and he was the attorney
who handled my divorce a few years back.

At the time of his accident, his helmet was safely stored in the luggage
of his bike.  The accident was not his fault, a very convoluted affair
caused primarily by a car that pulled out into traffic and set off a
series of lane maneuvers that caught Ernie off guard.  I've talked to two
police officers familiar with the accident on a couple of occasions, both
agreed that with the helmet on he'd have walked away from it, with only
minor scrapes and bruises.  As is, he's left us as a former District
Judge, much respected by all who knew him, with three daughters and a wife
left to grieve.

Little can be said to ease your very real pain right now, Roberto.  I for
one understand your desire to continue to ride.  The dangers now are the
same as they were before the accident.

I'll depart the soapbox, sorry to those not inclined to fluff.

Phil