The point of the chain lube is to keep the O rings
moist and pliable so they do retain the lube that's
inside.  But, I just can't see past all the bearing
surfaces on the outside of a chain, so I like the idea
of constant lube.  The oil is non-detergent and flings
off (hopefully with all the dirt) and my chain remains
fairly clean (don't ask about the rear wheel, though).
 I've got 27,000 on my stock chain and am just now
starting to shop for a new set due to the front
sprocket.  Chain and rear sprocket still look good.
FL Kev