------_=_NextPart_001_01C0345C.3981B9D4

Henry, thanks for the info !!

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry S. Winokur [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 11:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Oil

I have just finished closely reading the article in the October issue of
Motorcycle Consumer News regarding oil, and there were some very interesting
points, which I though I'd share for those of you who don't get this mag
(why don't you?  It is the BEST one out there) or who missed the article.
One of the items declared the following:  "The evaporative loss data was an
eye opener for us." I'm wondering how many of us that have reported
significant losses of oil volume at high speed are actually seeing large
evaporative losses?...that is some part of the oil is evaporating due to
high internal operating temperatures of the engine.

Also interesting was a sidebar entitled "The Synthetic Question":  "The most
glaring difference in synthetic-versus-petroleum oils can be seen in Chart
F, Evaporative Losses.  Because synthetic uses a manufactured base stock,
its molecules tend to be more consistent in configuration.  As a result, it
is less inclined to lose mass when exposed to extreme heat.  Of the top 8
oils in this test, the ones that lost the least to heating were all full
synthetic.  The 9 oils that lost the most were either petroleum based or a
blend.  THERE COULD NOT BE A MORE CLEAR DISTINCTION IN PERFORMANCE."
(italics mine).

And under CONCLUSIONS: "....there are some trends worth highlighting.  Both
of the Mobil 1 oils (Tri-synthetic (auto) and MX4T) and the Amsoil (standard
10w-40) performed well in most of our tests and deserve your consideration.
Redline oil also turned in strong results.  At the, UM (italics, theirs),
other end of the scale, we were surprised by the low results of the Honda
oils."

I think I am on safe ground here saying that if you are losing large volumes
of oil during high speed riding, you pretty much owe it to yourself to try a
synthetic.  Personally I prefer Amsoil, but that is partly because I'm a
dealer, and partly because I like dealing with the "little guy" as opposed
to some faceless conglomerate like Mobil.  It would also appear from the
article that whether the oil is motorcycle specific or not is of little
importance.

Enjoy, and

Regards,

Henry S. Winokur
94 GTS1000, AMA, MRF, MD/MSF Certified Instructor
West Bethesda, MD

p.s.  No I have no relationship with MCN, other than being a very satisfied
subscriber.  MCN is only available by subscription, and is not cheap.  On
the other hand, like Consumer Reports it accepts no advertising.  But it is
worth it.  See www.mcnews.com.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0345C.3981B9D4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: Oil</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Henry, thanks for the info !!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Henry S. Winokur [<A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 11:19 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Multiple recipients of list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: Oil</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have just finished closely reading the article in the October issue
of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Motorcycle Consumer News regarding oil, and there were some very
interesting</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>points, which I though I'd share for those of you who don't get this
mag</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(why don't you?&nbsp; It is the BEST one out there) or who missed the
article.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>One of the items declared the following:&nbsp; &quot;The evaporative
loss data was an</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>eye opener for us.&quot; I'm wondering how many of us that have
reported</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>significant losses of oil volume at high speed are actually seeing
large</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>evaporative losses?...that is some part of the oil is evaporating due
to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>high internal operating temperatures of the engine.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Also interesting was a sidebar entitled &quot;The Synthetic
Question&quot;:&nbsp; &quot;The most</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>glaring difference in synthetic-versus-petroleum oils can be seen in
Chart</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>F, Evaporative Losses.&nbsp; Because synthetic uses a manufactured
base stock,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>its molecules tend to be more consistent in configuration.&nbsp; As a
result, it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>is less inclined to lose mass when exposed to extreme heat.&nbsp; Of
the top 8</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>oils in this test, the ones that lost the least to heating were all
full</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>synthetic.&nbsp; The 9 oils that lost the most were either petroleum
based or a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>blend.&nbsp; THERE COULD NOT BE A MORE CLEAR DISTINCTION IN
PERFORMANCE.&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(italics mine).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>And under CONCLUSIONS: &quot;....there are some trends worth
highlighting.&nbsp; Both</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of the Mobil 1 oils (Tri-synthetic (auto) and MX4T) and the Amsoil
(standard</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>10w-40) performed well in most of our tests and deserve your
consideration.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Redline oil also turned in strong results.&nbsp; At the, UM (italics,
theirs),</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>other end of the scale, we were surprised by the low results of the
Honda</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>oils.&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I think I am on safe ground here saying that if you are losing large
volumes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of oil during high speed riding, you pretty much owe it to yourself
to try a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>synthetic.&nbsp; Personally I prefer Amsoil, but that is partly
because I'm a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>dealer, and partly because I like dealing with the &quot;little
guy&quot; as opposed</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to some faceless conglomerate like Mobil.&nbsp; It would also appear
from the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>article that whether the oil is motorcycle specific or not is of
little</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>importance.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Enjoy, and</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Henry S. Winokur</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>94 GTS1000, AMA, MRF, MD/MSF Certified Instructor</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>West Bethesda, MD</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>p.s.&nbsp; No I have no relationship with MCN, other than being a very
satisfied</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>subscriber.&nbsp; MCN is only available by subscription, and is not
cheap.&nbsp; On</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the other hand, like Consumer Reports it accepts no
advertising.&nbsp; But it is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>worth it.&nbsp; See www.mcnews.com.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>