On 06/09/16 10:48, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> The Briar folks are working on getting HTTP connections on Android to go
> through Tor via SOCKS.  They used a custom SocketFactory and Socket
> subclasses, with their own SOCKS handling.
>
> https://code.briarproject.org/akwizgran/briar/merge_requests/308
>
> Could we use this approach in NetCipher?  I think Torsten that said this
> approach requires android-14 at least, but we could just use HTTP
> proxies to support older platforms.

Hi guys,

Following up on an old thread to let you know that unfortunately the
approach we found for getting OkHttp to use a SOCKS proxy isn't safe. In
some cases OkHttp will try to resolve hostnames locally before creating
sockets, which leaks DNS lookups to the local network. Cure53 found this
in their recent audit of Briar. I'm currently trying to work out how big
a change is required to fix this.

Cheers,
Michael