(Why am I not getting mails to the list? Is mailman being "smart", or
the mailing lists slow? Anyway, replying to all..)

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 07:49 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Marius Vollmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On 64-bit machines, a cell is 16 bytes, and that means that a
> > word with "lower three bits zero" can still be invalid because it
> > points into the middle of a cell.

Sounds plausible :)

> That's great, but I believe there's one detail still to be explained:
> why is it a problem with GCC 4 but not with GCC 3?

I experienced problems with gcc3 as well, 3.3 at least, under some
circumstances. I suspect this very much depends on what values the
compiler decides to put on the stack, which depends on your CFLAGS.

Speaking of which, a -g compile on PPC uses quite a lot of stack -- I
had to up the default limit in order to get anything to work (for
example, compiling psyntax). That would be another issue though...

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/