Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> writes:

> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org>:
>
>> Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> writes:
>>> You probably cannot produce valid UTF-8 out of invalid UTF-8 snippets
>>> with split(1). However split(1) does form filenames out of its
>>> arguments by concatenation:
>>>
>>>     split --additional-suffix=suffix file prefix
>>>
>>> produces these kinds of filenames:

>> I don't really get your point here.  Why would you start with invalid
>> UTF-8 sequences in the filenames?
>
> There's nothing preventing such filenames from appearing on a Linux
> system. They might come from a zip file with Latin-1 -encoded names, for
> example.

I still don't get your point.  split does not use <file> for generating
file names, only for getting its contents.  The generated file names are
built from the <prefix> and additional characters.

> I have files older than UTF-8 on my Linux system. I have files encoded
> in Latin-3, for example.

It's still irrelevant since split does not _use_ the existing file name
for constructing new file names.

--
David Kastrup