On Mon Jan 12 2015 at 11:03:48 PM Andreas Enge <andr...@enge.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to package the droid font family. It appears to be available
> only via the android git at:
>    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+
> /android-4.4.4_r2.0.1/data/fonts/
> where
>    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git
> defines the git repository.
>
> This page contains a tgz download link:
>    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+
> archive/android-4.4.4_r2.0.1/data/fonts.tar.gz
> Unfortunately, the file seems to be generated on the fly and have a
> different hash value each time.
>
> The git-reference method seems to clone all of the repository, which has
> about 1.5 GB. I tried several methods by hand, such as
>    git clone -b android-4.4.4_r2.0.1 https://android.googlesource.
> com/platform/frameworks/base.git data/fonts
> or
>    git init; git fetch https://android.googlesource.
> com/platform/frameworks/base.git android-4.4.4_r2.0.1
> but all of them apparently download the full repository.
>
> I also tried
>    git archive --remote=https://android.googlesource.com/platform/
> frameworks/base.git android-4.4.4_r2.0.1 data/fonts
> but the git server apparently does not support this:
> fatal: Operation not supported by protocol.
> (and I am also not sure that the output would have a fixed hash).
>
> Do you see any solution to this problem?

Google web fonts has droid font available in zip format via http [1],
not sure if the link is works across updates.

There is also the mercurial repository hosting all web fonts [2]. It's
quite big 4,1G and AFAIK there is no “hg clone --depth=1”

[1]
http://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Droid+Sans:400,700|Droid+Sans+Mono|Droid+Serif:400,700,400italic,700italic

[2] https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/source/checkout

Andreas