Ludovic Courtès <l...@gnu.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rek...@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/packages/tex.scm (texlive-texmf-minimal)[arguments]: Move contents
>> of "prune" build phase...
>> [source]: ...to a snippet here.
>
> It looks nicer this way, but a possible downside is the extra derivation
> and recompression of the patched source.
>
> No strong opinion here though.

My motivation was probably misguided.  My hope was that building
“texlive-texmf-minimal” would no longer require the very large download
of the full texlive-texmf sources but only the much smaller pruned
sources.  If this is the case I think it would be advantageous for
users.  However, if building from source would cause them to download
the big tarball first, then patch and repack, and then build the package
— that would obviously not be great.

Do we provide substitutes for snippet-patched sources?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net