On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 02:17:36PM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> I like the idea... a lot!
>
> Though I think we'll have to address, how do we *get* the packages from
> IPFS?  Do we use an http gateway (and whose)?  It would be even better
> if by using Guix you automatically could enable contributing to the IPFS
> pool, but I guess that would require a) having an IPFS client in Guile
> and b) having the Nix daemon replaced with Guile to do efficiently.
> (But maybe I'm overthinking it?)

We could start with an https gateway - probably the current guix
distribution server would be a good choice - to share source packages
hosted elsewhere. That would require no coding at all.

Later a Guile ipfs-client added to the daemon can mean that IPFS can
be queried directly.  The Python API does not look too complicated:

  https://github.com/ipfs/py-ipfs-api/tree/master/ipfsapi

Anyone interested in porting that?

Pj.