Hello Roel,

Roel Janssen <r...@gnu.org> skribis:

> The patch adds a “disableGarbageCollection” boolean variable to the
> guix-daemon settings, and on each occasion where a store item may be
> deleted, it checks this option.
>
> This option can be set using “--disable-gc”.
>
> It would be great if someone could review this and discuss whether
> this is the right way to implement such a feature.  And to point out
> what else would be needed to include this option in guix-daemon.

I suppose the use case is when guix-daemon runs on a machine and is
accessed over TCP/IP (with GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET=guix://…) from other
machines, right?

In this case, I thought guix-daemon could explicitly check whether the
peer is remote, and disable GC in that case.  That is, ‘guix gc’ would
still work locally on the machine that runs guix-daemon, but it would no
longer work remotely.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.