Mark H Weaver transcribed 826 bytes:

> > Can you tell me why it is safer to say perl-license instead of
> > package-license perl?
>
> I'm not a laywer, but if a future version of 'perl' were released under
> a different license, I strongly doubt that this would retroactively
> change the licenses of any earlier works.  That's exactly what would
> happen in Guix if we write (license (package-license perl)) and then
> later change the 'license' field of the 'perl' package.
>
>        Mark

Hm, but this is just our specification, metadata about a package.
This doesn't affect the reality of the package distribution.
If the license of perl itself changes we would just have made a mistake.
We can not be held accountable for mistakes in pointing out a
license, at least that is my understanding. I guess we just are
trying to prevent licensing mistakes in the future for the hypothetical
case that perl ever changes its license?