On 26/04/2018 10:04, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> What about firmware?  Do we know which AMD Radeon cards, if any, can be
> used without including nonfree software in the OS?

I'm not aware of an AMD/ATI Radeon card which doesn't need nonfree
firmware. The in-tree firmware in kernel goes back until ATI Radeon
R100[0], out-tree (linux-firmware.git) are all cards who run the amdgpu,
radeon or r600 kernel driver. So no card without nonfree firmware in the
last ~20 years...

There could be some Nvidia cards who doesn't need nonfree firmware
according to [1]. It have to be before Geforce 8000[2].

AFAIK Intel integrated GPUs didn't need nonfree firmware.

[0]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/firmware/radeon?h=v4.4.129
[1]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/393504/which-amd-ati-cards-dont-require-non-free-firmware-when-using-radeon