Hi Mikhail,

Mikhail Kryshen <mikh...@kryshen.net> skribis:

> I'm deeply disappointed to see this.  I always thought that the free
> software community have strong and independent culture, and it's very
> sad to see GNU maintainers, for whose work I have great respect, fall
> for the moral panic that is being spread by news and social media

[...]

> This leads to dissolution of the free software culture and its
> ethical values with the influence of media and corporations that are
> hostile towards software freedom.

I respectfully think that your interpretation is incorrect.

Keep in mind that each of the signatories has typically more than 10
years of experience as developer or maintainer of GNU (more than that
for some.)  They have dedicated a large part of their life to that, and
they have worked a lot with GNU and RMS.  So it really isn’t about what
“the media” said last week or the week before.

Perhaps you find our decision hard to understand, or perhaps you
disagree with it, but remember that we have a different perspective.

RMS created GNU, but GNU has long expanded beyond RMS, and free software
has expanded way beyond GNU, too.  We must keep it striving and reach
out to those who’ve not yet joined us to share the software!

Ludo’.