Hi!

I just discovered the existence of the INSIDE_EMACS variable (thank you,
Zimoun!) which disable the funky characters in `guix describe`,
etc. when run from Eshell or Emacs' M-x shell.

Sadly, it also disables colours.

On a related topic, I think we should disable the

hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results.

feature when run inside Emacs, since Emacs is its own pager.

To sum up, I suggest to send a patch to fix the following:

- Rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS?
- Document the existence of INSIDE_EMACS.
- Leave colors on when inside Emacs.
- Disable the pager hint and display all research result when inside
  Emacs.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt