Hey!

> I’m completely sold to the idea.  :-)

I'm glad you like it!

> Looking at ‘image-ext2.c’ reveals that genimage actually just shells out
> to mke2fs.  Indeed, I discovered that ‘mke2fs -d /my/root’ copies
> /my/root as the image’s root directory.  Likewise, for ISO, it just
> shells out to ‘genisoimage’.
>
> So I think that we could avoid ‘genimage’ altogether and implement
> similar functionality for ext4/ISO in (gnu build disk-image).

Ok! One useful functionality of genimage seems to be that's its capable
of creating complex partitioning layouts. Of course we can re-implement
it in (gnu build disk-image), but I don't know how complex will it be.

Danny, I found the genimage files for each arm/aarch64 boards inside
Buildroot repository. They are a valuable source of information, but
regardless of the decision we take for (gnu build disk-image), we can
find a way to import them and store them as Guile records.

I guess I'll start a small implementation to have a clearer view of this
topic.

Thank you all for the feedback,

Mathieu