On January 23, 2021, Lars-Dominik Braun <l...@6xq.net> wrote:
> [...] Remove pip and
> setuptools from python (saves almost 20MiB from the closure and avoids
> weird conflicts between python’s setuptools and python-setuptools) and
> turn them into (almost) ordinary packages.

I think if we do that then Python will need a treatment similar to GCC,
where we don't expose the package and instead offer a compound package
(could be called "python-toolchain" or just "python") which includes pip
and setuptools. The last decades of python packaging have trained people
that when you install python you get pip and setuptools as well, I think
we should not try to be too clever and violate that assumption.

Also, for what it's worth, we already have python-minimal which doesn't
have pip, and it's only