Hi,

I am very late to the party.

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 at 04:32, pukkamustard <pukkamust...@posteo.net> wrote:

> I think it's time to start an `ocaml-team` (or `ocaml-updates`) branch
> to collect some bigger updates and changes to the OCaml packages in
> Guix.

I think that’s a great idea. :-)  Any progress on this?

> * Remove most ocaml4.07-* and ocaml4.09 packages
>   - We only want to keep the compiler around for bootstrapping purposes.

Currently camlboot is used by ocaml-4.07-boot used by ocaml-4.07.  But
then version 4.09 and later and not bootstrapped; well they use the
upstream bootstrap (which is boot/ocamlc and friends IIRC).

Well, independently of this upgrade plan, the OCaml bootstrap could be
the chain 4.07 -> 4.09 -> … and I do not know if 4.09 would be enough
for 4.14.  And if 4.14 would also be enough for 5.

That’s said, aside this bootstrapping consideration, I am in favor to
remove 4.07 and 4.09 OCaml packages.

> * Split packages from (gnu packages ocaml) into multiple modules. Maybe
>   in following modules:
>
>   - (gnu packages ocaml): For the compiler and core dev packages (opam,
>     dune, merlin)
>   - (gnu packages ocaml-boot): For the 4.07 and 4.09 compilers
>   - (gnu packages ocaml-xyz): Everything else

This split makes sense to me.

Do we create the branch ocaml-team for doing this plan?

Cheers,
simon