Hi,

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 at 14:29, MSavoritias <em...@msavoritias.me> wrote:

> The reason I have come to guix is because it strives to actually make it
> easier for people to change things. with guix shell and such. So making
> it easier for people to contribute is absolutely a part of it. Im not
> saying we should force every volunteer of course to do "work". What I am
> saying is:

Sorry if I misread you.  From my understanding you are mixing unrelated
things.  As I have tried to explain elsewhere in this thread, there is a
range of contributions.  Somehow, we can divide them in 4 categories:

0. Use Guix (and potentially report bugs :-))
1. Extend Guix for your own needs
2. Submit your modifications
3. Merge some modifications

Here, you start to speak about #0 and #1 and then you splice to #2.

I agree, it is a whole as the “free software” definition:

0. The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.
1. The freedom to change it so it does your computing as you wish.
2. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others.
3. The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.

However, to stay actionable, we need to keep in mind the 4 levels.  And
we need to recognize and identify for each level what is good, smooth,
easy and what is harder, unexpected or worse blocker.

Else, we are in some vacuum of abstract and we are locked in rants
without some engaging path forward.

That’s said, let me point that people are already engaging for improving
the accessibility of editors other than Emacs.  For instance, Vim [1] or
VSCode [2].  The frame is not “what we should do” but “let me show you
what I have”, IMHO.  Well, you are free to join the fun! :-)

1: https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/using-vim-for-guix-development/
2:
https://videos.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/video/26660-cafe_guix_vscode_comme_outil_deditionmp4/

Cheers,