Ludovic Courtès <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Tomas Volf <[email protected]> skribis:
>
>>> Namely, ‘log-rotation’ is more opinionated and simpler than rottlog in
>>> several ways: there’s only a global configuration (rather than
>>> per-file), only one file (re)naming scheme, and probably a couple
>>> more.
>>
>> 1. Per-log file settings.  Some files I want to never rotate (the data
>>    has sentimental value).  Some files I want to rotate, but keep *all*
>>    previous versions (if I would be using Guix at work, this is required
>>    for auditing reasons).
>>
>> 2. Option to limit number of rotated versions being kept.  Currently,
>>    any single "log stream" can occupy unlimited disk space even with
>>    frequent rotations.  To prevent that, I would like to express expiry
>>    in terms of "keep current and 4 rotated versions", but that is not
>>    possible as far as I can tell.
>>
>> 3. Run-time discovery of log files to rotate.  I have no idea how to use
>>    shepherd for rotating samba's log files for example, their names are
>>    (in my configuration) dynamic based on the host name of the machine
>>    that connects to the samba share.  Their only shared trait is that
>>    they are under /var/log/samba.d and end in .log.
>
> On topic #3, I’m soliciting opinions on this change:
>
>   https://codeberg.org/shepherd/shepherd/pulls/143
>
> TIA. :-)

I mostly read the changes to the documentation, and it looks good.  I
need to read up more about the `@quotation Warning' section, I wonder
how (if?) traditional log rotation programs handle this problem.

Thanks for letting me know about this,

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Reply via email to