On 9/22/26 09:12, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
This is a heads-up about a simple addition that I'd like adding to our
manual [0], to make official a simple non-LLM policy for our project.
Building up from the near-consensus of GCD 008, it is deliberately
simple, leaving space for fleshing out the details in a later GCD if
needs be.
Thank you! Now we at least have something.
The justification is still very controversial though, from both 'sides'
of the discussion. I don't want to restart the entire discussion; I
support the change. I'm saying this only because in your other mail you
assume the change is uncontroversial, which it isn't:
- Many people opposed of LLM-use will still be opposed if it will turn
out to be totally fine from a copyright perspective.
- Many people willing to use LLM's, want to use it for things that are
not copyrightable to begin with.
- This policy still allows many usage of LLMs that both many LLM haters
and fans consider harmful.
I'm mostly worried about this last point: our "human-first"
collaboration is still potentially being threatened.
Nevertheless, it is good to have something concrete. Thanks again.
Let us focus on making things better so people don't feel the need to
use an LLM.
Hugo
[0] https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/11407
[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2026-08/msg00004.html