On Saturday, March 10, 2007, at 05:53  AM, Thomas Thrien wrote:

Captain Joy schrieb:
[...]
4    Feldon IV    1.113    Gas Giant (Medium)    66719    0.99
1.51    :     0.04    823.8 days    21.29    7 moonlets
    Feldon IVa        Standard (Ice)    3615    5.54    0.46    Very
Dense: CO2, N2                1 RVM, -295 °F
    Feldon IVb        Small (Ice)    3588    2.16    0.18    Highly
Toxic N2 CH4                0 Aff, -287 °F
    Feldon IVc        Tiny (Ice)    687    2.45    0.04
Vacuum:                 -1 RVM, -317 °F

...for
Feldon IV. I assume this planet has 10 satellites in total, with IVa,
IVb and IVc as major moons.

That is correct.

...there are now
two options for the moonlets: you have ignored them for counting the
moons and their orbits may lay between the orbits of the major moons, or all the moonlets will occupy only outer orbits (from d to k - ignoring i
or j because of the risk to mix them up).

The former is the case; I ignored the moonlet orbits when assigning letter designations to the major moons.

 ...it would be helpful to know all the orbits.
This does not mean that you have to change your generator again, it just
means that you should add a short explanation how you count the moons.

Another good point. I can easily include an explanation as a footnote to the data table. That was easy.

If you use your generated
system just as "settlement" ground, it does not really matter,

The orbit info for all the moonlets does get calculated. Adding this info to the Planetary Record automatically, unfortunately, will not be trivial. I think what I'll do is include it by hand, but only for those planets that are settled.

Also, my idea with these Planetary Records is that they will be what's found in a ship's library computer as a result of the Survey Service doing a standard survey. By standard, I mean, they fly into the system; scan for an hour or so; then fly on to the next system. I.e. no planetary landings, no physical samples taken, etc., just a mapping of the system. (This means I may eventual remove the RVM values.)

Another thing I would like to suggest is to add a UWP. I know that this
is the GURPS forum and not a Traveller forum, but I found this quick and short notation always helpful, and I use it even in pure GURPS games, at
least for my own reference.

Eventually, these will become Star Trek forms for me. Eventual I'll have to add a column for Planet Class and list them as "M" class, "L" class, etc.

A Traveller UWP consist of a code letter for
the starport of the system and 7 hexadecimal digits describing the main
world of the system (but also secondary worlds), in terms...

Not a bad idea, but you'll have to tell me exactly how to code it. I don't have access to Traveller rules.

Another suggestion of this type is to add the km value for the miles and
°C or Kelvin for the °F temperatures.

It would seem a U.S. Survey team scouted this system, no? :) Seriously, if it were up to me, I'd convert all values to metric. But, as my players aren't familiar enough with km and °C (and certainly not Kelvin!), I'm afraid the United Federation of Planets will be decidedly American; possibly Vulcan-American or Andorian-American, but American none the less. :)

Nevertheless, great work already!

And becoming better and more useful, thanks to your (and other's) comments. I've never run a SPACE campaign before, so I can only guess what info will be useful on a Planetary Record sheet, both for me and my PCs. So, keep those suggestions coming, everybody.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"It's life, Captain, but not life as we know it." --Commander Spock

_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to