----------| Am 25.03.2008 13:14 schrieb rekres: |----------
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Thomas Thrien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
----------| Am 25.03.2008 03:00 schrieb Brandon Cope: |----------
 > Of course, the ST 17 means that virtually all firers will take double recoil 
penalties.
 >
 > Brandon
 >
 ... and this matches with reality; ...

 So what practical use will have a handgun with such a caliber when it is
 at least as dangerous for the firer than for the target? It is bulky,
 heavy, expensive - and really loud if used. So why going for a .600NE
 Revolver when I can get the same from a Rifle with .308 HS/HV or AP -
 that does not try to kill me when I fire it?

IIRC, the OP stated it was for a CyberPunk style game where artificial
limbs with added ST would be commonplace.  I might even go so far as
to specify it can't be fired by an un-modified human... give a bennie
to those borg wannabes. :D
I have to confess that I overlooked that the gun was meant for a CyberPunk game. But to be honest, I always thought, that MinST for a fireweapon should refer to the basic strength. A weapon with a recoil requiring MinST 17 will definitely rock the whole body, not only your arms and hands. So some mass is required to compensate that - and (basic) ST is in GURPS used as a rough equivalent for mass (correct me if 4E will treat this differently).

In case of a modified human with artificial limbs, I would use a formula like this to get the effective ST to compensate the recoil of a fireweapon:

     (baseST + 2 x LimbST)/3

perhaps with some modifiers to baseST for overweight, fat and very fat (i.e. +1, +2, +3).

And because rifles behave different from handguns (and therefore might require a different calculation ...), it does not seem to be really clever to do so ...

thr

--
Thomas Thrien
Obermarkstraße 3
Berghofer Mark
44267 Dortmund
Allemagne

Tel. +49 231 7285456
Mobil +49 171 5289503

Geo 51° 28' 12" N 7° 32' 17" E

_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to