I'm using Mac OSX 10.13.3, MacPorts, XQuartz, but am pretty Unix
illiterate. Trying to install Gwyddion 2.49

the error message I get upon using ./configure while in the Gwyddion
directory is:

*checking for GTK_BASE... configure: error: in
`/Users/lisa/desktop/gwyddion-*

*2.49':configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
old.  Make sure itis in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment
variable to the fullpath to pkg-config.*

I gather that a needed file is not in the expected place, so either I need
to move the file or tell Unix the correct file-path.  But I'm not sure what
the name of the file is that I need to find or how to designate the proper
path to it.

Is there something else I need to download?

--
“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?”