At 10:58 AM 4/24/2019, you wrote:

6. Re: Reinvigorating the List (Sharon Collier)

7. Re: Reinvigorating the List (Audrey Bergeron-Morin) List-Post: <mailto:[email protected]>


From: "Sharon Collier" <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 07:53:47 -0700

Re: managing Facebook. I have stopped "following" almost everyone, except family and a few group pages. We're still "friends" and I can go to their page and see what's up with them if I want to, but I don't get the constant feed of 100s of posts every day. I can now get through FB in about 15 minutes, tops.
Sharon C.

I never signed up for Facebook. At first, they didn't want me because I wasn't a college student, so I chose to NOT grace their product when they started letting the rest of us in. (To quote Danny Zucko in _Grease_, "Sloppy seconds ain't my style".) Then they started mucking around with privacy settings so everyone's private and family-only stuff was made public to everyone. I don't trust Facebook and won't give them my business (or eyeball time).

I would love to reinvigorate this list, but I just don’t have the time or will any longer to plow through yet another social media outlet. It is getting so I don’t even check my Facebook, let alone someone else’s every day. When I don’t check, the tide of posts overwhelms me and if something came through early the first day it is impossible to see late on the second. Instagram may be the best thing going, but I can’t see opening up another fire hose on my computer.

A lot of the time, I just archived the posts because they weren't pertinent to the period I was working in, or because I didn't have time to read the posts. I've lost about two years' worth of email due to a drive failure (and concurrent backup-drive failure), but sticking with an antiquated e-mail program means I've personal email archives going back over 25 years.

>>>> On 4/22/2019 3:28 PM, Wicked Frau wrote:
...
>>>> I REALLY wish Yahoo Groups were still supported.  It was so easy to find
>>>> old threads that way and just refer people to them if they asked a similar
>>>> question.

Yahoo Groups is still around and active; it's just that the individual groups aren't as frequently posted-to as in the past. There are still a number of costuming groups around, though some have been dormant for years. (I am still subbed to RENCOSTUMER, Elizabethan Clothing, Italian_Renaissance_Costuming, Courtesans, authenticfabric, margospatterns, margospatterns-pictures, margonian_caravan, PreRaphaeliteGarb, Smockers_Anonymous, smockinglist, and swapsell.)

From: Audrey Bergeron-Morin <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Reinvigorating the List
Message: 7

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 01:39, Wanda Pease <[email protected]> wrote:

> Instagram may be the best thing going, but I can’t see opening up another
> fire hose on my  computer.

Again, a Facebook property. Will NOT get my eyeballs (I am VERY anti-FB.)

I hear you. I use Instagram to follow yarn dyers and pattern designers.
It's dangerous and another time-sucking void... but oh so inspiring! It's
just not a great place for text - which is why I liked this list as email
format.


Brenda
[email protected]

Help STOP Diabetes by supporting the ADA Tour de Cure: http://main.diabetes.org/goto/arachne

_______________________________________________
h-costume mailing list
[email protected]
https://indra.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/h-costume

Reply via email to