Hi, Cassandra!

There may be multiple ways 1930s wrap dresses worked.

For instance, you talked about tae kwon do tops. It's possible that some dresses had both an inside tie and an outside tie (the outside tie would take the place of a sash or belt). I can't prove it, but I think this vintage dress shown on Etsy works like that:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/688553627/vintage-1940s-yellow-floral-wrap-dress?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1930s+wrap+dress&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=4a927a7de786e0af240feda691ae9f72e119090a%3A688553627&frs=1

Here's a 1930s vintage dress with buttons at the waist, like you mentioned:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/597440323/vintage-1930s-day-roses-30s-cotton-wrap?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1930s+wrap+dress&ref=sr_gallery-2-34&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Here's one that seems to have ties on both sides, which were tied together in the back.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/556575060/vintage-1930s-dress-linen-waitress?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1930s+vintage+wrap+dress&ref=sr_gallery-1-12&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

I know this doesn't count as research (if only because it's impossible to be sure that the sellers have provenanced their items correctly), but maybe you can check out some museum items online to get a better answer to your question. Good luck!

As for your rayon question, I think rayon was used more for dressy items, and cotton for casual ones.

On 4/28/19 2:44 AM, Cascio Michael wrote:
Hello All,
       Cassandra here.  My current costuming has moved into the 20th century 
and I'm looking into house dresses and wrap dresses suitable for chasing 
children around, doing housework, etc before dressing to go out or see company. 
 Most of what I can find are either pattern envelopes from the 1920s-1950s or 
photos of dresses or women in catalogues.  Would a wrap dress cross under and 
tie at the inside like a current tae kwon doh uniform and then tie or button on 
the outside?  Would a working dress only wrap across the front on one side and 
then how would it stay closed?  I know what I would do but that doesn't mean 
that is what was done in the 1920s-1950s period.  My family elders who lived in 
those decades were either too young or had thrown over convention and wore 
pants.  Are dots and gingham fairly common for housedresses during those 
decades too?  I believe rayon became popular in the 1930s but did housedresses 
continue to be cotton for washablilty?  Glad to see lots of familiar names.  
I'm willing to stay here since I like getting a daily digest.  I'm retired and 
only do computer stuff every few days.
                                                                                
                                                                     Cassandra
_______________________________________________
h-costume mailing list
[email protected]
https://indra.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/h-costume



--
Catherine Olanich Raymond
[email protected]
(610) 805-9542

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
Benjamin Franklin

Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail message and any documents accompanying this e-mail
transmission contain confidential and/or legally privileged information
The information contained herein is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named on the e-mail message.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this information or the taking of any action in reliance
on the contents of this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender
advising of the error and delete the message and any accompanying
documents from your system immediately.  Thank you.
_______________________________________________
h-costume mailing list
[email protected]
https://indra.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/h-costume

Reply via email to