The red material is either red suede leather or velvet. The sleeves could be
box pleated but the left forearm and the right cuff make me lean towards
slashes and that the bands are non - applied bands but of the same sleeve
material with embroidery to stop the slashes. Basically, one solid sleeve
with alternating slashes and bands.  So the suede route might be easier and
you could possibly embossed instead of embroider.
Note that the sleeve cuffs have small cloth covers buttons.
Note that the codpiece uses the "embroidered" band design only, no slashes.
The black jerkin looks to be velvet. The garment seems to be a bit odd on
the right shoulder region so I not sure about the cut there.
I am not sure what he has in his hand but it isn't gloves.
Though I don't think there is underwear underneath this, you might want to
make him a set of linen boxers for his own modern mind comfort. (unless he's
use to not wearing any underwear.) From my understanding the pants and
codpiece are what help the special package from bouncing around to much.
Long shirt..
Actually, Margo Anderson has a good pattern for Men that may cut your
trouble in half
http://www.margospatterns.com/mainframe.htm
Just scroll down to the men's pattern, go to the site for that pattern.

Good luck on your challenge.

De