Something retro. The fashion industry has been mining retro (or history) since, heck, since about 1800. Maybe 20 years from now, the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s all mixed together? 30 years from now, they can start swiping from some years later in the 2000s.

Maybe they can do the Geek Look. Recalling the glamorous years of being able to make (or lose) a killing in high-tech start-up stocks. Of course, the really distinctive geek accessories were old-fashioned by the 1980s--the plastic reinforcer for the ballpoint pen in the shirt pocket, the stack of punch cards, and thick glasses. But I could see them being labeled 1980s-90s anyway.

On the other hand, maybe it'll be time to revive the Punk Look. It'll still be ready-to-wear, probably mostly made in countries where labor is cheaper, and relatively comfortable and practical. Meaning, even though high heels might be worn, I don't see boned hoopskirts or bustles as such ever coming back as long as the RTW industry predominates. Maybe some kind of poofy skirt style, but not the real thing.

There might be some new synthetics, but I'd wonder _how_ new. I'm not a textile expert, but a number of the "new" ones now seem to be minor variants on rayon, polyester, and--Lycra? What is the forerunner of Spandex? Maybe there will be a new textile that provides extra sun protection?

In other words, I see fashion evolving along the same lines it's been evolving in for some time. I could see some sort of new electronics that would spur a need for special pockets in clothing and purses. Maybe a combination small personal computer (but the monitor would be terribly small, unless you could magnify the image) and picture cell phone.

As for nanotech within the human body, I don't see it happening except for people who are fatally ill or otherwise medically desperate, for whom it is worth the substantial risks. If you've ever had a few problems with your Miscrosoft programs, can you imagine what buggy software could do INSIDE YOU?

Fran
Lavolta Press Books on Historic Costuming
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Brenda Bell wrote:

What will be interesting will be to examine our ideas of what clothing will be like 20 years from now, 20-30 years from now to see how far off the mark we were...