> It's pretty likely that if you were wearing these colors in most of the
> Middle Ages, you wouldn't have dyed them. You'd have bought the fabric
> already dyed by a specialized dyer, or brought undyed wool or woven fabric
> to the local dyer. The exact sequences and roles (who dyes, who weaves,
> when those steps occur, and when it ends up in the consumer's possession)
> would vary from one time to another and one place to another.

I absolutely agree with Robin here.  Some people did do their own dyeing
at home.  In general, however, the fabric was generally bought already
dyed.

> If you want to know how the dyer would have achieved the colors, again for
> most of the Middle Ages, you're dealing with madder for most red shades
> and woad for all blues. Your bluish violet would have been made with some
> combination of those two, possibly with overdyeing.

Except that madder gives a more orange-red in various shades.  And
bluish-violet, depending on the actual shade, could be achieved by other
dyestuffs...logwood being one of them.  But I don't know when logwood came
to be used as a dye so the time frame you are talking about is important.

Dyeing in period is a fascinating subject and if you love chemistry and
doing experiments, natural dyeing is a lot of fun.

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
"Everything for the Costumer"