At 03:06 PM 8/22/2005, you wrote:

I have been asked to reproduce a garment for a museum. A pattern has been made copying some original fragments, which were of "tabby weave" wool. Could somebody please, in layman's terms, tell me what tabby weave looks like. (I do not need to know *how* it was woven right now.) I need to find a modern wool that resembles it, and I don't know what I am looking for.

Please don't give me names of wool unless you know they are English. I have not had time to write that American/English costume dictionary that I have been threatening since I first arrived in America with a theatre wardrobe and couldn't buy scissors the size I wanted till I discovered they are called shears!!

Suzi

"Tabby weave" simply means "woven over 1, under 1". Most plain linen is tabby woven. Avoid gabardine or twills. In order to find something that resembles the original, you will need to have the threads per inch in the warp and in the weft in order to find the right weight.

Joan Jurancich
[EMAIL PROTECTED]