There's always been a significant overlap between science fiction/fantasy readers, and reenactors. There are also a fair number of ex-hippies in the older reenactor generation.

I think "dressing up" is a very significant factor here. In much of the US in the 1960s and early 1970s, things like miniskirts (which were not hippie clothing, but high-fashion "Mod"), scruffy jeans, and long hair for men, let alone offbeat real vintage or historically inpsired clothes--they were all shocking. Startling. Attention-getting on the street. Getting disapproving columns in the newspapers, which referred to immorality and dangers to society. Wearing anything really unusual was a social statement and a threat to the established order. Now, whenever an extreme fad comes around, all most people who dislike it do, is to say, "Gee, I don't really care for artificial-scarlet-colored hair, belly button piercings, whatever." We've all gotten used to diversity. It used to be that everyone knew what THE skirt length was, and being a half-inch too high or low was, not radical, but visible and dowdy. These days, whenever I hem up a ready-to-wear skirt, I have trouble figuring out what the proper skirt length is, or even if there is one, which there doesn't seem to be right now. (Which suits me, it saves me a fair amount of hemming. I often just wear the skirt longer.)

So what I'm getting to is that historic reenactment was a very offbeat activity in the mid1960s, and partly because it required wearing seriously offbeat clothes. Furthermore, that it appealed to people who already liked wearing seriously offbeat clothes.
Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Something happened in the 1960s, and all these things, and Hippies, came out of it. They are only related by the fact that they were "invented" at about the same time. (And the fact that they all show up at Science Fiction conventions...)