At 9:28 AM +0100 9/5/05, Suzi Clarke wrote:
I don't know who or which group started the Living History thing in England, or whether the term Living History came from the U.S. However, I do remember going to a huge open air event in 1953, where history was celebrated by people dressing up. I believe it was called a pageant, and was all amateur, although the team organising it *must* have been professional. These pageants have been happening in England since at least the Middle Ages, and some say are the origins of theatre in England.

I found some delightful photos at Stafford Past Tracks:
http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/engine/theme/default.asp?theme=311&text=0
of their 1913 "Millennary" celebrations on the 1,000th anniversary of the town's establishment. There's a lady dressed up as the 1913 vision of Aethelfleda, Lady of the Mercians, several pageant scenes and floats (including one commemorating Elizabeth I's visit in 1575 -- not a very good picture, unfortunately).