product is modern.

De:I always believed they stem from the Edwardian view of the Middle Ages
and Camelot. But mostly I have seen the chainmail cauls in Erte's drawings.

 < The only time I've seen one worn outside a "historic" (Renfair/SCA/LARP)
context was that Anne Rice wore one during a television
view.      -Carol

De: I've seen them in plays and Halloween and one Goth. She had white blond
hair and the chainmail was black with red crystals.

They have also been used in films. More than one chain mail jewelry vendor proudly displayed photos (in a book of their work) of their headwear - and chain mail hand jewelry - as featured in movies. This was especially true in the 1980s.

They are also often worn at neoPagan rituals and festivals.

Lilinah
who has a matching head and hand set for festive wear