According to the site that I bought my Baleen from recently, it is the
harvesting of baleen that is watched carefully.  What I bought came with a
certificate that it was "antique", pre-ban stuff.

The walrus ivory was supposed to go only to native carvers, but the you
could own it.  I had a small picture carved on the base and it's legal for a
whitie to own.

The State Senator (1971 here folks - Alaska had just put in its 100,000th
phone) was not a part of the trade.  He had settled a genuine Alaskan
homestead in 1946 and was a fabulous tale teller.  EZ (Easy Man) Marchant
did a fine business providing art and raw materials to his stable of
artisans.

As is common, people think because there are no walrus off their coast, the
animal must be pushing towards extinction.  Wasn't true in Alaska at all and
probably still isn't.  The natives still hunt them and use every bit rather
than just hacking off a fin and dumping the carcass back into the water.

Regina