>> In a message dated 9/12/2005 9:58:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>> I should  add that I use a non-historically accurate (for MY time period)
>> cross-lacing, and not the spiral lacing, which I really do intend to try
>> at some point.  Really. ;o)
>
> If someone would just explain exactly how to do this....

Like this?
http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/lacing/lacing.html

For front-lacing fitted gowns, I go bottom to top, spiral lacing.  I
usually just use a cotton crochet thread that I've worked into a cord
with either fingerloop braiding or plying.  I make rolled tip from
aluminum.

For Victorian corsets, top and bottom to the middle.  I do alternating
cross-lacing (not sure if there's an official term, I just made that
up), slightly different from the way I lace shoes.  One 'cross' is
totally on the outside, the next is totally on the inside.  Its
actually like double spiral lacing.  This way the laces never pass
_between_ the two edges - I find that it pinches less and is easier to
get tight closure.

Catrijn

Catrijn