[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> When I worked for the local Shakespeare festival, we had an excellent
> British actress in the company who was serious about a number of silly , yet
> traditional theatre superstitions. I used to torment her, putting shoes on
> the
> counter instead of the floor...

A couple more:

(1) It's unlucky to baste anything with green thread. (Green is supposed to be
a generally unlucky color anyway.) IIRC (and it was a LONG time ago) I think my
grandmother actually told me this one.

(2) It's unlucky for anyone to sew or mend clothing while someone is actually
wearing it. But the person wearing the clothing can avert evil consequences by
holding a piece of thread between their teeth while the sewing is going on.
(Can't remember where I saw this, but it was relatively recent.)