To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Clothing Superstitions

Julie,

It makes me wonder if a straightening iron for hair would work for last minute hem pressing? Maybe I will try it in a rush one day.

I have ironed some full-skirt hems while a few actresses and models were wearing them. If you have confidence in what you are doing and the actor/model has confidence in your abilities, they won't be scared. After one night of rehearsals, the actor/model can pick up on your abilities really quick.

During West Side Story last year, I rigged two full sized flags into two actresses' underskirts with safety pins. The actresses lifted their skirts to reveal the flags at the end of the song America. We had three minutes to do the pinning between scenes. It worked. You can see a photo at:
http://www.costumegallery.com/Manchester/WWS/flags3.jpg
I had the safety pins already in their place in the skirts and petticoats, when it came time to put the flags in them, my teams of dressers knew exactly where to place them. The actors knew exactly how to hold the skirts during the quick pinning to make the process quicker. I had my dressers practice the pinning during dress rehearsals several times to get the timing down to three minutes. You can't tell from the photo but the middle of the flags are also pinned to the waistband of the petticoats to hold the flags in place while the actresses danced vigorously to America. You could not tell the flags were in the skirts until the actresses lifted their skirts. We tried Velcro and snaps to hold the flags in the skirts but they were not strong enough to hold up the flags through the America scene. These girls really shook their skirts during the number. They looked great when they shook the skirts in the dance! Especially the girl with the gold petticoat! Thankfully the pins never opened and the flags stayed in the skirts.

Penny E. Ladnier
Owner,
The Costume Gallery, www.costumegallery.com
Costume Classroom, www.costumeclassroom.com