At 20:32 23/09/2005, you wrote:
From: Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> > winkle pickers.
>>???
>A particular long toed style of mens shoe popular in the 50s.
And women's. They are currently to be seen in shoe shops in Europe as
a "new" fashion.

I could be mistaken, what with it being a fashion thing, but I -believe- the original style was a man's shoe. The term has just carried over with the more recent conckroach stompers.

Marc

Sorry Marc, they may have originally been a man's style, but I was wearing them in the '50's, and they were called winkle pickers then. I am old enough to have been wearing so called fashion in the 50's. I didn't wear them for long, or often, as they hurt my feet!! (Incidentally, at about that age, I was given a pair of my Grandma's shoes, possibly from the First World War, which had long points - and I couldn't wear them either.

Suzi