I wouldn't know, never having met anyone in "high societ," or the American upper class. And I'm probably unlikely to. And I'm in the intellectual/professional/academic strata of the middle class by birth, marriage, and career; meaning not at the very bottom of it. I wouldn't say all middle-class dress is "casual," by any means. There are plenty of jobs where people must wear conservative clothing to succeed, and so forth.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

True....but society....like high society, still cares what you wear sometimes far more than young people. It's like what the fashion report from the red carpet is all about. But also what you wear at the White House or the board room. Me? I live in perpetual casual world. But my aunt is head of the American Red Cross and sees Bush and others high up and gives and attends big whoop-de-dos and so on and so forth.....and one must wear the right kind of thing at the right time...and it's serious....Jezebell serious. I don't mean to state the obvious, but in my world, I sometimes forget the rigors of society.