Hi folks... remember... stitch names vary - sometimes wildly from era
to era, and author to author... Others remain stable.  That is why I
gave the name of the author as well as the name of the stitch as it is
described in their book.

OK... so the smocking site "uses" the term basket stitch a different
way... fine... not the one I was referring to... ; >

And in addition some groups have "traditional" names or use
intentionally older names for stitches,  and that can add to the
confusion.  For example, in my area of the SCA this stitch is called
"plaited" chain  or "plaited braid" stitch.  The second one always
makes me ask for clarification, because "plaited braid" as I learned
it from my grandmother was an open stitch used for filling in various
embroidered laces.

Mari / Bridgette