Beee-zarre.  "Archaeology" magazine july/aug 05 issue has the prelim
results from the current dig in Florence.  I think you'll find some of
the hands-on forensic evidence a given by the Italian archaeologists
to be "just a little" different.  I'll cite all of the Eleanora's
health tidbits from the article "Secrets of the Medici":

"When we found Eleanora's box, we found that though no soft tissue was
preserved. the bones were in good condition. [Aside on the historical
record elided.] She was pregnant most of her adult life and her
skeleton showed it. Every birth is a trauma to the mother's pelvis and
leaves it's mark. In Eleanora's case the bones that come together were
extremely rough and irregular. She was a small woman, and everytime
she had a child there was damage to the bones, followed by regrowth
and remodeling of them. And the back of her pelvis, which is normally
quite angular was flattened by the many children coming down the birth
canal."
"All those pregnancies, during which the calcium is leached from the
mother for the bone development of the fetus, had had a serious effect
on Eleanora's teeth.  She had lost several and others were abcessed."

There is much, much more in the article about Eleanora, Cosimo, even
some light on the great debate as to whether or not Cosimo killed his
own son Cardinal Giovanni in grief over younger son Garzia's murder.
(I wont spoil the plot. You can read it yourself.)

The 5th Medici exhumed in this year's dig was Gian Gastone di Medici,
the last Medici Duke.  He was found w all his grave goods intact, tho
the tomb was disturbed in the 1966 flood.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]