Although the films of "The Woman in White" and "The Moonstone" are both good, I think Wilkie Collins' novels are better in both cases. The novels are mysteries; the suspense aspects, the unraveling of mysteries bit by bit, the false leads, are not really carried off as well in the films. "The Woman in White," as a novel, is a Gothic as well as a mystery, and that doesn't come through as well in the film either.

Still, I'm glad the films were made, and I liked them. I'll look at any film based on a novel I like unless it's really, really, really bad (according to reviews). I even kind of liked the modernized "Great Expectations" with Gwyneth Paltrow (think Dickens Lite), aside from the music.

I am looking forward to the new "Bleak House." Do you know when it will be coming out and especially, coming out on DVD?

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Kate M Bunting wrote:

There is about to be a new BBC version of "Bleak House" dramatised by Andrew Davis of "Pride
and Prejudice" fame, with Gillian Anderson in the Diana Rigg role. The previous version was 1985
according to "Radio Times".
The version of "The Woman in White" shown on TV a few years back took considerable
liberties with the plot, trying to be "relevant" by making Sir Percival Glyde's guilty
secret to do with child abuse rather than that his parents weren't legally married.