In a message dated 10/7/2005 7:49:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I just  have no
idea how to assemble clothing from this era without it looking  like a
bad home ec project.

*************************

Oh c'mon! I'm sure your skills are more then adequate.

The way I was taught:
One thing is, you have to trace all sewing lines and not rely on even seam
allowances like a commercial pattern. Indeed, if the bodice is flat lined,  as
they usually are, the best way is to trace on the flat lining, and then hand
baste the lining to the fashion fabric while each piece is flat on a table
[FLAT  lining after all] right on [or just outside] the traced sewing lines.
This
way  you can see the sewing lines on both sides of each pattern piece. [If
the fabric  was thick, we would baste right on the traced lines, and sew just
the outside  of them...to make up for the thickness of the layers of fabric.]

You then line pieces up by sticking a pin through the two pieces being  sewn
together to line them up. Then using ANOTHER pin to pin it in place before
you take out the pin you used to line it up. Lots of balance marks help.

The other non-modern thing is you must set sleeves into the armseye. None  of
this sewing the sleeve seams and underarm seam at the same time stuff. Again
using the line-up-with-a-pin method and matching seams if they match and
lots of balance marks. My friend who used to work with me on period movies
would
hand bast in sleeves after pinning if they were difficult, like Gigot or  leg
o' mutton sleeves, before sewing them in by machine....but you  don't NEED to
do this.

All this basting is of course pulled out later.

And of course clipping the allowance of curved seams so they will lay flat
when pressed open is a must.

I once saw a pair of 1890s bodices obviously made by the same TOC
seamstress. The insides were beautiful. The curved seams of the 6 piece backs
were
scalloped....not just clipped...like they were clipped every inch or so and
the
right angles of the clipped seam allowance cut off in curves. Then  pressed
open. Then the raw scalloped edges were bound in narrow magenta  seam binding.
THEN a bone, covered in brown glazed cotton, was cross stitched  down the
center
of each seam, to the seam allowance, with magenta thread.  All those
scalloped and bound and boned seams converging to about an inch apart  at the
waist
was a thing of beauty!
The front was just 2 pieces [as usual] with 2 darts on each side of CF  under
the bust, again with boning cross stitch down each dart that  was clipped
just once at the waist.

This is the way to do it. Time consuming? A bit. But, y'know....if  you're
gonna do it anyway.....