At 17:20 09/11/2005, you wrote:
This one is blue silk, what looks like grosgrain with
silver gilt thread embroidery, gold buckle and
enamelled Tudor roses in place where your crosses
would be. This is the oldest known surviving Garter
from that Order. Apparently it was sent by the King of
England to Maximilian to confirm his support of his
marriage proposal. This item was eventually sent with
Maximilian's representative to I think her name was
Anne, IIRC, for the first proxy marriage ceremony.

I have come across pictures of both you are speaking
of on a Russian, of all places, website. The
Goldworked one had a lovely picture, the black one
wasn't as detailed since they took the pic of the
black garter atop black moire taffeta - artistic, but
not useful for detail purposes.

National Trust has a photo purchase section, I was
just hoping not to have to go that far. This was a
little side adventure for me. I guess I'll make it the
size of the available buckles - again though, buckle
purveyors might be very interested in the buckle for
repro purposes anyway. I wouldn't be looking forward
to packing all of this into anything smaller than one
inch, however.

Incidentally, for the purposes of trivia, the garter I
am looking for has "pense" spelled wrong on it -
"pence", however it could be a more period spelling as
I have found multiple references with that same
misspelling. Additionally, the other photo I have of
this item _appears_ to have something else on it, or
some really wild looking gothic script, I can't tell.
The buckle end has either "POM--", "HOM--" or "BOM--"
on it, depending on which way you turn the photo.
Someone either couldn't spell, I can't read, or a
combination of the two. :-) It's possible too that I
am mistaking the "M" for a really tightly packed "NI"
based on the script style. This item looks
surprisingly long for a garter and seems to have a
decorative section at the strap end.

http://www.sculptor-iangb.com/Garters.html

Information and a picture of the modern "Garter", for your interest.