On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, otsisto wrote:

> I am glad that I asked why not. Though the issue wavers off the beaten
> path I have come to understand why you and some others do not use dyed
> linen for outerwear.

> My perspective is that linen degrades faster then wool and therefore
> is one of the reasons that extent garments made of linen have not been
> found yet in the Medieval Western Europe. You also have the garments
> used until rags and then sometimes became paper.

I wouldn't base the assumption just on the archaeological evidence, for
exactly that reason -- not nearly enough scope of survivals to generalize
about most things, not just this point.

But the documentary evidence -- wills, inventories, sales records,
domestic manuals, sumptuary laws, guild regulations, shipping records,
letters, literature, poetry, chronicles, legal cases -- paint a pretty
clear picture of what fibers are being made, sold, and used, and for what
purposes. I place a lot of faith in these! There's loads of linen
mentioned in these documents, but it generally appears in household and
industrial uses, as well as very specific clothing uses such as underwear,
caps, aprons, eccesiastical garments. References to fashionable/everyday
clothing are overwhelmingly to wool, wool, wool (for all classes) and some
silk (for the wealthy), and occasional blends that might have been part
linen or cotton in cases, but otherwise wool or silk.

--Robin