At 07:13 AM 12/3/2005, you wrote:
http://slumberland.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=864

I'd like to know the name of the dark grey/white piece on the woman in the second photo. It covers her head and shoulders.

I'd be interested in making something similar for modern wear, but I have no idea what it's called in order to look for other examples and/or patterns.

thanks!

Yes, as Ro and Sunny said, it is a hood/mantle. It kpredates the first picture in most paintings, and is usually seen on women. The ones without buttons are the ones seen on men. I think it has to do with the fact that a woman would not want to pull a hood over her hair, while a man would be less concerned with messing up his locks.

Genie