We don't really know - such information was too well known/too distasteful to
be written down anywhere. Protection that sticks on to the underwear is a very
recent development, however. Previously a belt arrangement was used, for which
pants were not strictly necessary.

Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/01/2006 17:23 >>>
This leads me to ask, and please do not take offense anyone... How did 16th
women deal with their monthly courses without underpants? Rags, I know, but
how were they held up? This part of clothing never seems to be dealt with,
though the Costume Society of America  ("Dress") once had an article on 19th
C. inovations.

Dame Catriona MacDuff
Interested in 16th C. womens issues